Friday, July 15, 2011

Treading new water

I feel as if I have left all that is familiar to me and am walking on new ground, so to speak.  I have always had everything laid out for me, as far as lesson plans go. LFBC has no teacher plans, no prep time, just child directed spiral notebooks with text and worksheets included.  It really is a great program if that is what you are looking for.
Last school year, we switched and I had a ton of copying lesson plans from the dozens of A Bens teacher manuals that I had. I spent hours copying lessons down, but in all reality, that was so much easier than what I am trying to do for this upcoming year.
We are leaving the textbooks behind with the exception of math and grammar and really am just coming up with my own things.
I started off with Emily's science and really started to just roll with it.  I guess you could call it charlotte mason with notebooking. I pulled out the topics covered in the A bens text that we will use over the course of the school year.  I started a notebook on the first topic, insects and other creepy crawlies. I spent hours typing up worksheets, looking for notebooking pages and fun activities. We have been to the library and checked out various bug books. And you know what? She has already learned a great deal of interesting facts about this topic just from reading and we haven't even begun our notebook.
I am doing the same for Rebecca's history. I am having more fun researching than she probably will in doing the actual work.
It is July and my house is covered in books. I never have school books out over the summer! Especially during the month of july!  I'm loving it. Love the planning, researching, and writing my own lesson plans!
But enough for today. We have a birthday to celebrate and a day of fun planned at the pool. 

Shea

No comments:

Post a Comment