Monday, May 30, 2011

Your questions answered

Why is it that I do not like discussing homeschooling with non-homeschoolers?  Many are just trying to make conversation.  Many are trying to comprehend why we do what we do.  Often, I feel like others are trying to get in my business, so to speak.  Sometimes, I feel as if I have to defend myself.  I cannot give you a simplified run down of everything we do in just a few minutes.  My best advice for those who have lots of questions concerning homeschooling (with no intentions of hs'ing) or our family as homeschoolers, spend a few hours with our girls and you will get an idea of who we are.
Below is a compiled list of simplified answers to many of the inquiries I have had in the past, and some very recently-
  • God is the center of our focus
  • we do homeschool because of our christian beliefs
  • my children are socialized
  • the state requires testing annually
  • I will not discuss their testing results with you
  • we school all over the place: the family room, bedroom, kitchen table, library, car, or in public
  • we do not attempt to run our school as if we are in a school, just in a home situation
  • no, we do not have a schedule
  • we are not unschoolers
  • no, we do not school year round (I enjoy my summer breaks just as much as the next kiddo)
  • my girls are well rounded
  • we have participated in several co-ops
  • as of right now, I am the predominant teacher
  • they participate in several sports
  • they partake in church activities
  • we dress this way on purpose but it has nothing to do with home schooling
  • we are not weird because we do not wear pants
  • we are not weird because we do not listen to secular or contemporary music
  • no, we will not let them watch certain things on tv because we need to protect their eyes
  • yes, it is OK to let girls be girls and not worry about boys or make up
  • my house is not always clean although "I am home all day"
  • I actually am home during school hours before lunch
  • I do not answer the phone during school hours
  • we take the responsibility as being the teachers of these girls very seriously
  • no, I am not a very patient person
  • I am not overly organized either
  • YES, YOU can homeschool if you wanted to- it just has to be a priority in your life
  • don't think that I am a saint because we have homeschooled for 7 years
  • I do not write my own curriculum
  • I will take a stab at it this year for the first time :o)
  • I do not have a teaching degree past the preschool level
  • we spend all morning in our jammies, often not getting dressed until we have to leave the house
  • I am not free to babysit, homeschooling is a full time job
  • yes, we know lots of different homeschoolers, but I have the authority to pick which ones I want as an influence on our girls
  • they know how to communicateand interact with those of all ages
  • if Emily does not talk to you, it is because she chooses not to, not because she doesn't know how or is rude
  • lastly, YES, we plan on going "all the way" with them unless God makes it clear that it is not His will

No comments:

Post a Comment